10 Questions To Ask Before You Buy Any Custom Iron Product For Your Home
- Who is going to BUILD my Iron Entry Door, Iron Security Door or Iron & Wood Gate and WHERE will it be made?
The first thing to make sure of is to buy direct from a local manufacturer. Beware of lesser quality foreign imports or companies reselling old and used products. All of First Impression’s Doors and Gates are 100% American Made Steel products, custom built to order by First Impression Ironworks employees. Each one is locally manufactured in our own Arizona facility to the highest quality standards in the industry.
- What’s the HISTORY and REPUTATION of the Ironworks Company?
We strongly urge you to do your research about any company or contractor you’re considering. Here a some of the questions that will reveal important details you need to know:
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your business address and how long have you been there?
- How many employees do you have?
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- What are your Registrar of Contractors license numbers? Look up their history here.
- Show me your rating with the Better Business Bureau. Look up their history here. Look up their history here.
- Look to Facebook, for example, for plenty of positive reviews. If numbers are limited, then the company may not have been in business for a long time
- What awards have you won for customer satisfaction, service, quality and leadership? It just so happens that First Impression Ironworks are 2019 finalists for the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Torch Awards for Ethics.
- How many SHOWROOMS do you have and where are they located?
Proceed with caution if any company isn’t forthright with you about locations you can visit to view and feel the quality of their Iron Doors and Gates. You can quickly learn a lot about a business by visiting one of their locations. Check out the size and organization of their operation, talk with their employees and get a feel for how they conduct business. First Impression has 3 conveniently located showrooms in Arizona. We invite you to visit any of our locations including touring our manufacturing campus in Gilbert, AZ.
- Who would be SERVICING my Custom Iron Door or Gate should the need ever arise?
Similar to the installation of your custom iron product, find out exactly who will perform a service call if ever needed. Will the company still be in business when you need them? What awards for Customer service have they won? At First Impression you are never caught between who built your product, who installed your product, and who is going to service your product…it’s one call! Our Ironworks Experts are with you every step of the way as we have been with all of our homeowner clients since 1995. We maintain a spotless record with the Arizona ROC, and an A+ Accredited Business Rating with the Better Business Bureau since 2002.
- What are the WARRANTY details and is this warranty included in my purchase price?
Read the small print and don’t be afraid to ask about the details. A company’s warranty is often times an afterthought by the homeowner. Make sure you know up front what is under warranty. First Impression’s Limited Lifetime Warranty is included with every purchase to ensure years of enjoyment for your investment.
- How long will it take to build my Door or Gate and WHEN will it be installed?
The last thing you want when starting an exciting home improvement project is to wait for months before you can enjoy your new iron product. First Impression Ironworks has an industry leading reputation for the quickest delivery of ALL our custom built products without ever sacrificing quality. It’s because we build in Gilbert, Arizona, have skilled employees, high tech equipment and decades of experience which allow us to provide industry best lead times for our custom built products.
- Is my Custom Iron Door or Gate going to made from STEEL or ALUMINUM?
When investing in custom iron product for your home, protect your family and home with the strength and security that only steel can offer. Aluminum is a very light weight and flexible metal, not commonly known for its strength. All First Impression Ironworks Custom Iron Products are 100% American Made.
- Is the size of the frame important?
The frame size of any Door or Gate installed onto your home will determine the strength and stability of the product. The smaller the frame, the more likely that your iron product will warp over time as your home naturally settles. First Impression Ironworks provides the largest and heaviest door and gate frames in the industry as a standard offering.
- Will the HINGES of my custom iron product be welded onto the frame or posts?
Welded bullet hinges are recommended as they require lower maintenance since adjustments are not needed. Also, welded hinges are more secure. They can’t be easily removed by burglars like ‘H’ Hinges and like non one-way screws. The First Impression Ironworks welded bullet hinges support over 600 pounds per hinge. We have the highest quality hinges with highest level of protection, security, and custom installation of any Door and Gate company in the USA.
- Is the Is the custom iron product finished with POWDER COATING or PAINT?
Powder coating applied to steel is a very durable, high quality, long term finish baked on at 400 degrees offering superior protection and longevity to that of paint. Most Custom Ironwork companies do NOT have their own powder coating facility. This inevitably results in outsourcing this phase of manufacturing and leads to a lack of quality control. This kind of out-sourcing can also lead to less than adequate thickness of the powder coat, unnecessary damage in transit, and delays in production. First Impression has a full service powder coating facility on our site, ensuring all of our products receive the highest quality finish in a timely fashion. All First Impression products include powder coating and we recommend a powder coat thickness of 2-3 mils for a strong finish that will stand the test of time. Choose from over a dozen powder coat colors in stock, or add a faux finish to the powder coating for an extra special look and feel.
NOTE: Post updated Sept 2019.